Sunday, April 25, 2010

I am not that girl that men fall in love with, swoon over or buy flowers for. I'm the woman the men talk to about the girls they have fallen in love with, swooned over or are thinking of buying flowers for("Should I or shouldn't I? Do you think...?"). So I can count the number of times I have had flowers given to me on one hand and one of those was a, "Yeah, I got this for free and thought you'd like it," tossed at me by one boyfriend and then a couple of, "My girlfriend/wife is mad at me and refused these, but you might like them." The remaining two were flowers from my best friend, Jim (long story, but pretty purple mums that I really appreciated), and a bouquet on my birthday from a college roommate, Charissa.

Now I LOVE flowers. When I had a garden there was one year that my love for flowers took over my Taurean practicality and instead of vegetables it was all Monet flowers all summer long. And there have been years when all I did was YEARN for flowers and friends and family would ask me what I wanted for my birthday and Christmas and I'd list books and albums and flowers. And I'd always hope for flowers. And never get the flowers.

Which is why I started buying flowers for myself for my birthday. I realized it was silly to wish for something when I had the capability of getting it for myself all along. And so flowers were things I started buying for myself whenever I wanted to celebrate something for me - Christmas, Birthday, or just because.

And then today, on a Sunday, I get a call from the front door for a delivery, but I didn't order anything.....

And it's FLOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roses, hydrangeas, little wild flowers that my gramma would have loved and I loved, too.

Thank you, Aunt Pat, for my wonderful, glorious birthday flowers! They are truly appreciated for the gift that they are!





2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Very nice. LOvely flowers. Cool.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

They are, aren't they? And by the way, you won one of the copies of my short story on my blog contest!