Friday, August 3, 2012

A Drug Free Life and a Glass of PCP


I got a phone call tonight from someone in my writers club - the Miracle Mile Writers Club. I've been helping him go through his book and fix little bits of things here and there; we're going to meet tomorrow for another session of double checking grammar and syntax.

The name of Jerry's book is A Drug Free Life and a Glass of PCP. Jerry Solomon grew up in Los Angeles in a stable, loving Jewish family. He was a musician and comedian, dating someone and looking forward to getting more into the entertainment industry. He didn't do drugs or drink. One hot day his "friends" gave him some cookies and a glass of cool water. He was grateful and ate the cookies and drank down the water. It tasted funny, but he was taught to be polite, so he didn't say anything.

His "friends" were trying to be "funny" because they wanted Jerry to "relax." It wasn't cool water he was drinking down - it was PCP. And it wasn't funny - it was horrific. His life was forever changed by that awful betrayal by his friends; he has been working and fighting to get it back ever since. We've watched him in our writers group as his manuscript changed from a tangle of loose-leaf handwritten pages to the perfect bound book pictured here. This is his story. You can find it on Amazon here.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

How horrible. Pranks so often turn out to be mean, horrible things. I described a prank my friends played on me in "Days of Beer," and it, fortunately turned out funny for everyone. There was a moment when it might not have been funny, though. I really hate pranks and always told my son not to play them on people.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

So true! I gave your Days of Beer to some friends of mine for Christmas. I should get a copy for me.

LoveRundle said...

I'm so excited Jerry's book is out. He's got such a great personality and he never lost his comedic side.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yeah, he's got such great timing.