Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Writers Digest Poem a Day Challenge

Crossposted from Blogetary:

So, I decided to at least try the Poem a Day Challenge.

The prompt today (April 1 that is) was origins of something. Here’s mine:

The Dawning of my Demise

Began with yearning turning
to need –
pressure building
exploding
pencil gripped and tearing
through the page.

To get my words out.

Feeding desire to throw
words on the pyre
and
see
them
burn.

To be a writer.

I was 9.

According to last years Poet Laureate, the trick is to read the prompt EARLY in the day (something I didn’t do today) so your poem can gel. So, we’ll try again tomorrow, shall we?

Now, go take a look at the latest Beyond Centauri.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, I don't know about that "Gel" idea but he's the poet laureate and not me.

this is pretty good though. I think it ends best with the word "burn."

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yeah, I think you're right. I kept crossing out and adding back in those last two lines.

Bevie said...

Sorry to intrude. I was just passing by (via a search through those interested in fantasy) and saw your Avatar. I had to come see a larger version.

It's wonderful!

Then I read your profile and I had to see your blog.

Now I've read your poem and I must tell you, I can so relate! That's about the age I realized I loved to tell stories on paper.

I'm an unpaid writer. Hope you are faring much better.

Bevie

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by! I don't know many writers who are paid well, if at all. It's a labor of love.

Hope you're enjoying poetry month!

Bevie said...

Thanks. Didn't know it was poetry month, but I am enjoying it.