Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Poem a Day Challenge - Day 14

Crossposted from my Blogetary.

Wow, almost halfway there! Since today was Tuesday, it was a two-fer challenge again and we got two prompts. We could do either or both, as we chose. The two prompts were Love and Anti-Love. Here was my attempt:

Love -

Is it love?

He dogs my every move -
never far away.
I see him wherever I go -
he’s constantly on my tail.
Sometimes I look up –
to meet his baleful glare.

Ignore him though I try
as he rubs his cheek against my leg
I have to wonder why…

Is it love?
Or is it food?

Anti-love

Revelation

Bubble rises in my stomach,
as the words go on and on and on and on…
“Love inspires me!”
Bubble does its job, shoving food aside -
shoving it up inside…
as you swan on…
“I’m whole when I’m in love!”
Bubble reaches my mouth and I cough,
feel food in the back of my throat
and swallow down acid.
“Being in love is the only way to be!”
The bubble bursts.

Leaning over the toilet,
burning from the inside out,
I remember what you were like
when you were in love with me.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Interesting mix of humor in the first one and angst in the second.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Well, now you know my life. :-P

LoveRundle said...

When I was reading the first poem about Love, I was wondering if it was through your perspective or Pye's, until the end. I have the scar to remind me how much he likes his food on time.

The second poem was rather sad. You use a lot of imagery to really draw the reader in, like the line, "Bubble rises in my stomach." That is such a good line, because I think we've all be there so I actually felt a little more into this because of the feeling that is right away.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I feel so bad for you and Chandra. Every time one of my neighbors offers to look after Pye I tell them about you guys and say I just hire one person now. She knows Pye. Pye knows her. She works for a vet and knows how to deal with malcontents. I feel so bad that Pye was such a pisser with you guys.