Friday, April 11, 2014

Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry is Good for the Soul

It’s that time again! It’s a Friday in April! Do you have your poetry on? Below are some poems that I’d like to share on this Friday. Thought I’d concentrate on some scifi/fantasy poetry.

This first one appeared online on Everyday Weirdness January 17, 2010, which is now no more.

Adrift

Locked in silent struggle –
A prison of his own design;
He stares out in wonder
At all that he has lost.

Stars burn brightly,
Reflected in his eyes;
Retreating into darkness.
A cold and silent night.

This one also appeared on Everyday Weirdness, but on August 3, 2009:

where better to cry…

where better to cry
than the cold vacuum of space.
only the stars to hear you

And finally, a poem that appeared in the June 2008 issue of Aoife’s Kiss. You may be able to find a copy of it here.

Learning Alchemy

One night I dreamt.
I strung each of my stories
on a silken cord.

Shining in a perfect moment of opaque beauty –
transcendent –
before collapsing in a heap of dust.

One lone pearl remained.
I have been studying Alchemy.
I haven’t quite got it down
yet.

I wish I could say that
I could spin straw into gold;
turn a bushel of leaves
into a basket of coins;

or that I could take water from your well,
a pumpkin from your garden,
a rat from your cellar,
and your neighborhood paperboy –

and give you back fine wine in a golden chalice,
a royal carriage,
a fine steed,
and a man fit to be King.

Yet, I haven’t quite figured out
how to take the light that pours through me
and bend it into a rainbow.

You can find these poems and others in my poetry collection.
What poetry have you been reading or writing this month?

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

The only poetry I've been reading has been the subs by folks for my writing group. Some pretty good ones. nothing sf or fantasy. The group is not that kind of group and doesn't really get it much

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I forget how much I like it until I read it again. I used to be with the Science Fiction Poetry Association but had to quit paying membership dues when the rent went up one year.