Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Late Night Thoughts...

From the blogetary...

1) I am beginning to suspect that some markets have me on auto-reject. I don't think they even bother to read what I've sent. And if that's the case then so be it. It's not honest, but that's just way it is and there are plenty of other markets out there who do seem to like what I write.

2) I have a poem coming out on Everyday Weirdness next week. I'll put up the link when it's up.

3) I know other writers and artists go through this. Sometimes it feels like our friends and family don't take us seriously. We don't have the 12 hour a day job that eats our soul; we have the sometimes 2 hour and sometimes 48 hour job that feeds our soul. But, because we work at home in our flip flops they don't really think we're working. Other people in our field don't take us seriously.We aren't getting handed awards or big contracts, so we don't feel validated for all the hours of work we put in looking for work, doing the work, creating the work, marketing the work and advertising the work. Well, no one else BUT us really knows what we're up to. We have to learn to pat ourselves on the back and keep going. We can't let the negative tapes in our head get to us. Nor do we have any time to spare worrying about ego strokes. Ask yourself why are you doing what you are doing. If it's for money or ego, you're in the wrong business. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling good about getting a byline, or getting paid well for what we do, or seeing our name on the cover of a magazine or book, but that's not why we're doing what we're doing.

So, those are my late night thoughts.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I know what you're talking about. During the summers at least. Folks think I'm cooling my heels with a cold drink while I'm writing my ass off. Unfortunately, I get to go back to that "real" job soon enough.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know what you're talking about. During the summers at least. Folks think I'm cooling my heels with a cold drink while I'm writing my ass off. Unfortunately, I get to go back to that "real" job soon enough.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yup! That's it exactly.