Monday, May 17, 2010

Trying to Figure Out What to Blog...

Cross posted from Blogetary.

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what to blog about and I will just ignore it for awhile because I don’t feel like I have anything worthwhile to say. I didn’t realize that many fiction writers also have this same problem. However, in the Writers Market newsletter they had an article (well, blog post) on what to blog about when (as a fiction writer) you’re not sure what to blog about. You can read it here on Jane Friedman’s There Are No Rules. One of their suggestions includes sharing interesting information or thoughts related to research or themes in what you’re working since we’re usually doing research or observing different things.

I’m never quite sure about that. I feel like I’m jinxing something if I write or talk about what I’m working on too much, or what feels like too much. But as Friedman points out, this is one way for a writer to build their platform. And it helps draw people in if they know the type of stuff you’re working on.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's a good idea. I think I do that in general, although my blog seems to go all over the place.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yabbut, you've got quite the following because you wander all over the place. Sure, you had a slow year last year selling books, but you've got the audience. Eventually, when the economy gets better, those books will sell.