Sunday, January 10, 2010

Five Most Worn Books

Yesterday at our writers group we were discussing topics we might like to cover next month and one possibility was books that inspire you, or favorite books that you fall in love with. It got me to thinking. What about those books that you don’t really think about often, but when you do pick them up or refer to them, they’re so worn the spines are broken, the pages are yellowed, corners have been dog-eared and you have to squint to read some of the words on the page? What about those books? So, I decided to go through my bookshelves and see what 5 books most fit that description. It was tougher than I thought, too. I had more of these types of books than I thought, but below are the 5 most worn books and below that some runner ups:

Five Most Worn Books in My Library:

The World of Christopher Robin by A.A. Milne

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Herb Book by John Lust

The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Han

Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Runner Ups:

Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers

Esther by Emily Warn

Complete Poems of Robert Frost

Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

The Two Towers and The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Synonym Finder by J.I. Rodale

Merriam Websters Collegiate Dictionary

Several MZB Sword & Sorceress books (some more than others)

Several Catfantastic books (some more than others)

So, what are some of your worn out old favorites?

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

My oxford American dictionary is tops on my list. And I'm on a second copy. Another one like that is Dictionary of problem words and expressions, and On writing well, by Zinsser.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I've heard lots of good things about the Oxford American Dictionary.